The entire multi-format series of the Indian Women’s Team Tour to Australia will now be played in the state of Queensland due to restrictions caused by the COVID-19 outbreak in the country. The change is subject to final approval by the Indian team’s quarantine in Brisbane.
It is also reported that the start of the series will be delayed by two days. âAfter the quarantine, the Indians will play a training match in Brisbane on September 18. It is understood that BCCI had requested the warm-up match and several training sessions before (series) after the end of the quarantine, on their base to remember from the Indian tour to the UK earlier this year, when there were no touring matches, which affected the team’s preparations, âa report said by ESPNCricinfo.
The 22-member India squad, together with support staff, head coach Neetu David and panel member V Kalpana, will depart Bengaluru for Australia later on Sunday and serve a mandatory quarantine until September 13. .
Australian cricketers who are not from Queensland are expected to come next week, with those arriving from Melbourne and Sydney to be quarantined.
In the original schedule, North Sydney Oval and Junction Oval were to host the three ODIs on September 19, 22 and 24. It was to be followed by the single pink ball test from September 30 to October 3 in Perth. After the Test, the three T20Is were scheduled to take place at the North Sydney Oval on October 7, 9 and 11.
But the resurgence of COVID-19 has forced closures in Australia and sites to be redeveloped. This means the entire series will be played between two venues – the Metricon Stadium in Carrara hosting the test and the T20I, while Harrup Park in Mackay will host the ODIs.
Allan Border Field in Brisbane hosted the limited series between Australia and New Zealand in September-October last year. But the stadium is unavailable due to a redevelopment.
âFormal approval of the plans by BCCI is also sought by Cricket Australia, but sources familiar with the negotiations indicated that the Indian board of directors has never wavered in its commitment to the tour, having announced its team the Last week. Sources familiar with the talks indicated that one of the obstacles to organizing the series in other states has been the reluctance to allow players and staff in Sydney or Melbourne to go into quarantine and to train, even if the whole group is fully vaccinated, âsaid a report from The Age and Sydney Morning Herald on Sunday.
The report also states that apart from the women’s series against India, the start of the men’s national season with the Marsh Cup will also be affected due to COVID-19. In this situation, hosting a successful series against India will help Cricket Australia (CA) build a case for the Men’s Ashes to be housed later in the year.
âThe successful arrival of the Indian team and the set-up of the series would be a useful outcome for CA at a time when it is in talks with the ECB on the terms of the Ashes men’s series this summer. players have worried about the quarantine conditions for themselves and their families, to the point that up to 10 players have indicated that they will not be able to tour. However, the establishment of quarantine periods with a good degree freedom of movement at Queensland’s coastal resorts – offering plenty of outdoor activities and golf courses – would likely allay many of these concerns, âthe report added.